Sunday, October 22, 2006

When macaroni become 'pattisar'

On Friday, M and I went to hear Jonas Hassen Khemiri (remember him from my probably longest entry ever, in April? the writer?) speak at Malmö Uni about language and identity. That man really amazes me more and more every time. He's such an inspiring speaker.

I don't know... There's just something about him. He puts so much thought into what he writes and you can dig into the books and find something you've never thought of before every time you read them. There's something behind everything; nothing is there by coincidence. He makes you think, he makes you re-think, he makes you question, and he makes you unsure whether to laugh or cry while doing it. It's an amazing read.
And you discover new clues in the books listening to him - just today I realised that his name can be found within the fictional rapper I-on Carry-on aka Shuffle N's name. Try and figure that one out.

We're looking to possibly go to Stockholm in December to catch his debut play Invasion!, which is re-opening in November. We wanted to go on the opening night which happens to be just two days before my birthday, but of course that was sold out. From the little he's told us about it, I'm really intrigued. Hope we can make it.

(And I got my copy of Ett Öga Rött signed! *squee!* /fangirl)

So. Exams this Wednesday and Thursday, chai night slash studygroup tonight, regular studygroup Monday, Tuesday and probably Wednesday, possibly going out on Thursday to celebrate that we've completed the first ten weeks and hopefully passed the exams, and then a sitting on the 4th to celebrate even more. There's a gasque on the 20th which I'm really tempted by as well, but if we manage to sort out the trip to Stockholm that'll have to be my priority.

Hands are better. A bit sore and still kinda stiff, but way better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You can type again!

And Khemiri is a nice piece of man. Your obsession is nothing but healthy, honest, and totally understandable. :)

Kat said...

Obsession? Who said aything about obsession? I never... Oh, screw it, I'm not fooling anyone, am I? :P
I think it's the fact that he's the only Swedish writer whose books have really gotten to me. He's got that 'oomph' that I look for when reading.